What is a Custom Variable?
A custom variable is defined by a name — for example, “User status” — and a value – for example, “LoggedIn” or “Anonymous”. You can track by default up to 5 custom variables per visit and/or up to 5 custom variables per page view.
Some common use cases for custom variables are:
- Count how many users were logged in and how many were logged out.
- Count custom visit metrics, for example how many games were played, or number of Facebook Like clicks.
- Set the visit type (First time, Engaged, Customer) for each visit and then compare the stats, including visits, conversion rates and revenues between each visit type.
- For each page view, set a custom variable with the page’s category (and/or subcategory) to get a report on how many times each page’s category has been viewed.
Custom variable names and values are limited to 200 characters in length. We recommend that you store values that are as small as possible to ensure that the Piwik Tracking request URL doesn’t go over the URL limit for the web server or browser.
Custom Variable Reporting
You can access the custom variable reports in the visitors menu. Piwik reports all the standard metrics: unique visitors, visits, pages, time on site, bounce rate, conversion rate, revenue, etc. These reports are for each custom variable name, and also for each custom variable value. For custom variables of scope “page”, Piwik will report the following metrics: unique visitors, visits, pages.
In the example below, we created a custom variable name = ‘Demo language’, with the value being the language the visitor is using on demo.piwik.org
Custom Variables in the Visitor Log
The custom variables also appear in your Visitors > Visitor Log report. The Green boxes on the screenshot show the custom variables “Domain landed” and “Demo language”, which have a scope of “visit”.
Custom variables which have a scope “page” will appear in the tooltip when you hover on the Page URL or Page Title in the Visitor Log.
Data Limits for Custom Variables
Custom Variables are useful to track detailed metadata about the Pages, events or visitors. Here are some more information about the data limits in use:
- You can track unlimited number of unique Custom Variables names and values.
- Each name or value is limited to 200 characters in length.
- By default, Piwik will process the top 100 Custom Variables and will aggregate under “Others” the rest, to keep report size small and make processing efficient. You can easily configure Piwik to process all data and not truncate your reports.
- By default you can track up to 5 custom variables for a given visit and for a given page or event. You may configure Piwik to track more than 5 custom variables: See FAQ.
- Learn more about the Data Limits in Piwik
- Custom Variables Use cases post: Custom Variable Case Study: Divezone.net.
- Custom Variables How to blog: Using Custom Variables in Piwik.
- Custom Variables Reports API: REST API Reference.