We are very proud to give you a preview of Piwik Mobile 2 and to release a first alpha after 6 months of development. Piwik Mobile 2 is built with the following benefits in mind:
- Support for (upcoming) Piwik 2.x
- Get the information you want more quickly
- Further unification of Piwik and Piwik Mobile
- Easy customization for different platforms and form factors
- New Mobile web application (HTML5) in addition to native Android and iOS app
- Support for Themes
- Piwik Mobile Users: we need your feedback!
- iPhone & iPad preview
- Android App Alpha Release
- Mobile Web App – Alpha release
- What’s coming
- Source Code available on GitHub
Piwik Mobile Users: we need your feedback!
We are really interested in your feedback. The current version of Piwik Mobile has got good ratings and we want to build an even better version for you. Please take two minutes to fill our Piwik Mobile user survey:
The three people giving us the most useful feedback will receive an invite for an alpha release of the iOS version.
iPhone & iPad preview
These videos and screenshots give you a preview of the iPhone and iPad version. Unfortunately, we cannot offer you a download due to restrictions by Apple. It’s also interesting for non-iOS users to watch the videos as the Android and Mobile Web application look and behave similarly.
Android App Alpha Release
How do I install the Android application?
Simply download the file and open it on your Android device. Make sure you have allowed the installation of apps from “Unknown Sources“. We would really appreciate if you enable “Anonymous tracking” while you are testing to improve the app based on this information.
What version of Android is supported?
We will only support devices running Android 4.0 or higher. That means about 10% of our Android users won’t be able to install Piwik Mobile 2 but to use the Mobile Web application. It would take a lot of our time to support earlier Android versions and would prevent us from using some newer features. We hope you unterstand this decision.
What is missing for a final release?
We are still working on polishing the app, error handling, fixing bugs, improve performance and memory usage. We hope to further improve the app depending on your feedback!
- The application may crash if you try to delete a configured account or if you press a row long. A fix depends on TIMOB-12114.
- We haven’t added icons for different screen sizes yet
- On smartphones you need to press back two times to close the app. It may also display the Piwik splash screen while loading another window for a short time.
Mobile Web App – Alpha release
You can download the alpha release here and give it a try:
How do I install the Mobile Web application?
1) Unzip the downloaded files
2) Upload the unzipped files to your server, on the same domain as your Piwik installation. For instance upload all files to: http://piwik.example.com/mobileweb.
3) Visit the directory you have uploaded to start the Mobile app
Are there limitations in the Mobile Web application?
There is currently only one limitation due to the Same Origin Policy. You can add only Piwik accounts that belong to the same protocol and some host under which the mobile app is running. For instance if Piwik Mobile is running under “http://piwik.example.com/mobileweb”, you can only add Piwik accounts from “http://piwik.example.com/” and not accounts from let’s say “http://demo.piwik.org”.
How do I test the smartphone layout?
After your browser loaded the Mobile App, shrink the size of your browser window and reload the page.
Which browsers are supported by the mobile web application?
The targeted browser are:
- iOS Safari 5.0
- Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, 5.0
- Blackberry 6.0, 7.0
- IE 10.0
- Latest Firefox
- Latest Chrome
- Safari 5.0
- Google TV 5.0
- Latest Firefox Mobile
Piwik Mobile 2 will be released together with Piwik 2.0, before the end of year. We have lots of ideas how to improve Piwik Mobile in the future to live up our vision: “To keep the Piwik Mobile app as close as possible to Piwik. That means same functionality and same look and feel”.
Source Code available on GitHub
The Source Code is now available under a GPLv3 license: https://github.com/piwik/piwik-mobile-2. We have rewritten the whole code base in the last six months. The main reason for this is the new Alloy framework which helps us to develop cross-platform mobile apps easier and gives us the possibility to simply customize the app for each platform and form factor (Tablet / Smartphone). The result is code which is better to read, understand, maintain and extend.
A small bonus is this Gource video which shows the development process of the Piwik Mobile 2 app over the last 6 months: