This is the roadmap for the Piwik project and lists what we plan to achieve in the short and long term. Our vision is for Piwik to be the leading open platform for analytics, giving you full control over your data.
Our mission statement
“To create, as a community, the leading international open source web analytics platform, that gives every user full control of their data.”
Piwik’s mission statement
Learn below what we are planning for Piwik next!
Short term goals: within 3-6 months
- Make Piwik work well even when it measures very large number of websites (eg. 50,000)
- Track middle+right clicks on Outlinks #5287
- Accurately track Time on page #2041
- Let user measure not only Websites but also Mobile apps and any App in general #7131
- Video Player & Media Analytics
- Recruit more volunteers with a better Translations Platform: Piwik on Transifex, #7567
- Customer journeys: Goal Funnels #6080
- Refresh Piwik UI #7585 and make Left Menu the default #7169
- Piwik 3.0.0: scheduled issues
- Piwik 3.0.0 will require PHP 5.4
- Faster Date range report requests #7573
- All Major short term goals issues
- Reach 50 Plugins released on the Marketplace
Mid term goals: within 1 to 2 years
- A/B Testing product
- A/B Testing: launch crowdfunding campaign #459
- Measure (any) Things. Measure more than just websites and mobile apps #4734
- Web form analytics #562
- Awesome Real Time reporting #2439
- Data dashboard, Import metrics
- Pivot table #4776
- Reach 100 Plugins (up to date) on the Marketplace!
- Make Piwik Accessible #4167
- Data driven: let’s use Piwik to track Piwik app usage #4589
- How could we grow the Piwik community?
- UI: evolution graphs: show visits for each day in selected period #955
- All websites dashboard: let user customise columns and add new ones #2390
- Paid plugins in the Marketplace
- Free Piwik Cloud for Open Source projects
Long term goals: within 3 to 5 years
- Multiple Database backends
- IT infrastructure monitoring
- Recommendation engine
- Integrations with leading CRMs and marketing tools.
- Custom Reports
- Web Application Errors Tracking #4977
- API usage Analytics #4178
- Compare data for two different dates in tables, charts and reports #291
- 300 Plugins (up to date) on the Marketplace!
- In Piwik Frontend, continue to use AngularJS more and more
- Move more logic from core to plugins
- Plugin development contest
- Open source Tag manager
- Actionable analytics
- Offline data tracking, Retail shop analytics
- Piwik Big data?
These projects from the Roadmap have been released recently:
- Finalise Developer guides
- Device-Detector will replace UserSettings
- Dependency Injection
- Android SDK for Mobile App Analytics
- User ID
- Count number of users viewing several websites: Plugin InterSites
- Advanced Content Tracking
- Survey of Piwik community
- Migrate tickets to user friendly ticket system
#5273(Piwik migrated to Github issues)
- Zen Mode, to let you focus
- Events Tracking
- Custom Alerts
- Data Insights [beta]
- Movers and Shakers
If you like what you see, you can get involved… Piwik needs you. We appreciate your comments on the linked tickets or in the forums.
Contact Piwik experts if you want to sponsor one or several features from our roadmap.
- Alternative to Google Analytics and Universal Analytics
- Open Platform
- No data limit
- Engineered to last
Our vision for Piwik
Piwik is an open Platform
The Marketplace was officially launched for Piwik 2.0 in December 2013. All plugins developers and themes designers are invited to start building cool new stuff!
To prevent bugs and ensure stable software, Piwik extensively uses automated tests. A large number of tests run automatically after each modification to the source code. Having so many tests in Piwik code base helps us to be agile and release new features regularly while ensuring that the existing features are always working.
We are constantly working hard to ensure that Piwik is a secure software platform. We have already conducted three proactive professional security audits (the latest in Nov 2013). There has been hundreds of professionally trained security experts who scrutinize our source code as part of our bug bounty program.
What is the future of Piwik?
Matthieu, Piwik founder, explains in a blog post the key values that drive the Piwik project, and expand upon our goals and roadmap for both the short and long term future.