To move Piwik from one server to another, you need to move the php files, as well as the database to another MySQL server.
Often when you want to migrate one or more websites from one Piwik instance to another, the easiest solution is to use the SiteMigration plugin.
In case you want to migrate the complete Piwik service and database to another server, follow these steps:
- Export your mysql database in a file; you can use tools such as phpmyadmin or
mysqldumpto do this.
- Note that if you are not deleting your old visitor logs, then you do not need to backup the
piwik_archive_*tables, as they would be automatically re-created and processed from the other piwik tables.
- Import the backed up database in your new server; you can use phpmyadmin to import the file that you previously created. This should create more than a dozen Piwik tables in your database.
- Install Piwik in your new server; it is important that you install the exact same version as the one you are currently using. During the installation process, you will be asked to provide the mysql server, login, password and table prefix. Specify the same table prefix (by default, “piwik_”). Piwik will detect that the tables are present in the database and all your existing websites and reports will be automatically detected. It will only work if you re-install the exact same version – see Which version of Piwik I use?, and download the right version from the builds.piwik.org server
- If you use the auto archiving cron, you will have to setup the cron script on the new server.
Note that during the operation, visits will not be tracked.