Piwik can be used to track an unlimited number of websites. Piwik can track pages on multiple domains and subdomains. Most users track from 1 to 10 websites, but some Piwik servers track more than 10,000 websites!
Add a Website
You must be logged in to Piwik as the super user to add a new Website. Click on Administration to access the administration area, then click on the Websites tab. This page is used to create, update and delete websites.
Click on Add a new website to create a new site in Piwik. The website form shows all the options you can specify:
These are the attributes that you can specify for each website:
- Name: the website’s name
- Alias URLs: domains and subdomains that are tracked in this website. This will ensure that tracked domains don’t appear in the Referrer report.
- Excluded IPs: a list of IPs, or IP ranges (132.4.3.* or 143.2..) to be excluded from being tracked on all websites.
- Excluded Parameters: URL query parameters that should be excluded from URLs, for example session parameters. This will ensure your Actions > Pages reports stay clean and easy to analyse.
- Time zone: each website will report data in its given time zone. If you update the website time zone, only the reports going forward will be affected.
- Currency: the currency symbol will be displayed next to revenue in your goals.
- Ecommerce: if your website is an Ecommerce store you can enable the Ecommerce reports
You can also specify Piwik-wide values for these attributes at the bottom of the page. For example, you can set a list of IPs to exclude on all websites and URL parameters to always exclude from tracked page URLs on all websites.
Update and Delete Websites
To update a website, click on it, update one or several fields, and then press Save.
To delete a website, click on Delete at the right of the Websites screen. Please double check before deleting a website, since this operation cannot be reversed.
Track Subdomains & Multiple Domain Names
- Page title containing the domain name — by default, Piwik does not report the domain name in pages reports. For example, two page views of support.example.org/index.html and checkout.example.org/index.html are reported under the same ‘index.html’ page title in Piwik. You can easily customize Piwik to prefix the domain name in the page title. See JS Tracker – Customize Page titles
- Cookie paths — by default, Piwik creates first party cookies in the domain (or subdomain) where Piwik is used. If you track several sub-domains in one Piwik website, then you must ensure that the cookies are shared across subdomains, and that all use the same cookies. See the JS Tracker – Cookies configuration for domain names and sub domains Cookie setup
- Click tracking — you can disable clicks to subdomains tracked in the same Piwik website. See the JS Tracker – click tracking page
All Websites Dashboard
All Websites Dashboard is the best way to get an overview of what is happening on all your websites at once. You can check on the visits, unique visitors and page views, as well as view the sparkline showing the last few days evolution.
Each user can also choose, in the User Settings page, to load the All Websites Dashboard by default.
The All Websites Dashboard in Email Reports
You can also automatically receive the All Websites Dashboard by email — daily, weekly or monthly.
In Email Reports > click on ‘Edit’ (or create a new scheduled report) > then Click on the checkbox ‘All Websites Dashboard’.
Embedding the All Websites Dashboard in your app
If you are building a web application, or if you use an exiting portal or dashboard, you can easily include the All Websites report via an Iframe. Click on the top menu Widgets link for more info. Click here to see the All websites dashboard Embed demo.
Check out the list of related FAQs:
- How do I specify which websites to load by default in Piwik?
- How do I track visits on my intranet?
- How do I set some of my website directories or pages to not be tracked?
- How do I track several websites, domains and multiple subdomains in Piwik?
- How do I install Piwik on one server and track visits on websites that are hosted on other servers?
- Click here to play the video walking you through the Piwik Administration: Manage Users, Websites, Privacy, Optimize your Database, General Settings.