Unfortunately, Segmentation fault Piwik errors mean that the lower level software has crashed in some unexpected fashion. In this case, most likely PHP or some of its specific modules (PDO, mysqli, etc.). It is possible to overcome this issue by updating these softwares.
If you get the Segmentation fault error, the solution is to:
- Upgrade Piwik and make sure to use the latest version
- upgrade PHP to the latest version
- upgrade PDO (and/or mysqli) to the latest version
- You can also try to switch from PDO_MYSQL to MYSQLI in the config/config.ini.php ; edit the line “adapter = […]”
- if you still get the error, try disabling extensions such as eAccelerator, APC, xcache and/or Suhosin.
- if you still get the segmentation fault error at this point, please try the suggestion in this forum post. If it works for you, please post a reply in the thread
You should now have a working Piwik instance that does not crash, congratulations.